Sep
25

PH Army offers mass for ‘Sagay 9’ farmers

first_imgThe nine fatalities – EglicerioVillegas, Angelife Arsenal, Rene Laurencio Sr., Paterno Baron, Morena Mendoza,Marcelina Dumaguit, Rannel Bantigue, and two minors – were killed on Oct. 20last year in Barangay Bulanon, Sagay City, Negros Occidental after their groupoccupied the sugarcane field earlier that day to demand for their piece of land. The victims were members of theNational Federation of Sugar Workers (NFSW). Assistant State prosecutor FerdinandFernandez is handling the case, which is pending before the Department ofJustice in Manila.(With a report fromPNA/PN) Sagay City police station chief Major Antonio Benitez Jr. (standing) with officers of the Philippine Army’s 79th Infantry Battalion meets with the families of the “Sagay 9” victims on Oct. 20. 79IB/Philippine Army They were allegedly enticed to jointhe NFSW and were manipulated by the Communist Party of the Philippines-NewPeople’s Army. The police had filed murder chargesagainst several people, including Rene Manlangit and Rogelio Arquillo, who werealso identified as NFSW recruiters. “We initiated this as we would like toextend our sympathies to the families of the victims. Their innocence should begiven justice. They were only promised by insurgents to join their unlawfulactivities,” 79IB commander Lieutenant Colonel Emelito Thaddeus Logan said onMonday. Meanwhile, Sagay City police stationchief Major Antonio Benitez Jr. gave a case update during a meeting with thevictims’ kin, who received rice and cash assistance from the police. BACOLOD City – The Philippine Army’s79th Infantry Battalion (79IB) with the Sagay City police station, citygovernment of Sagay, and the Barangay Council of Bulanon have initiated thecommemoration activities to mark the anniversary of nine local farmers killedlast year. He added the government institutionscommemorated the event to “give value to the innocent lives deceived by theleft-leaning parties and militant groups.” Aside from the mass officiated byReverend Father Erwin Magnanao on Oct. 20, other activities included a fun runfrom Crossing Bulanon going to City Proper joined by around 100 participants, atree-planting activity at the Saint Joseph Parish Church and a dialogue withthe families of the victims.last_img read more

Sep
25

London killer shot dead

first_imgLONDON – British police shot dead aman who stabbed two people to death and wounded three more before beingwrestled to the ground by bystanders. People leave the area near Borough Market after an incident at the bridge in London, Britain on Nov. 29. REUTERS/DYLAN MARTINEZ The attacker went on the rampage justbefore 2 p.m. on Friday (1400 GMT), targeting people at Fishmongers’ Hall nearLondon Bridge in the heart of the city’s financial district – the scene of adeadly attack by Islamist militants two years ago.  center_img The Times newspaper, citing unnamedgovernment sources, reported the man had previously been convicted of anIslamist terrorism-related offence and was released from prison about a yearago after agreeing to wear an electronic tag.(Reuters)last_img read more

Sep
25

Ukrainian lawmaker’s son killed in attack

first_imgVyacheslav Sobolev, a businessman andKiev regional council lawmaker was at wheel of the car when it was attacked,the source added.     An investigator inspects a car at a site of a murder attempt on the lawmaker of the Kiev regional council and businessman Viacheslav Soboliev in Kiev, Ukraine on Dec. 1. REUTERS/VALENTYN OGIRENKO KIEV – Unknown gunmen opened fire atthe car of a local lawmaker in the center of this Ukrainian capital on Sunday,killing his three-year-old son, a police source said. Sobolev is a businessman from Donetsk,a flashpoint of pro-Russian insurgency in Ukraine. In 2010-2011 he was anexecutive at Ukraine’s state energy company Naftogaz.(Reuters) “As a result of a gunshot wound, achild died in a car ambulance on the way to hospital,” Ukraine’s Ministry ofInternal Affairs said.last_img read more

Sep
25

Sibalom man stabbed to death

first_imgAccording to police investigators, a heated argument ensued between Garcia and Cabrela at the residence of the latter during a drinking spree. This prompted the victim to punch the suspect.Cabrela retaliated by attacking Garcia using a nine-inch knife around 1 a.m. on June 6.It was not immediately established what triggered the altercation. John Garcia lies on the ground after he was stabbed to death by John Adam Cabrela following a heated argument during a drinking spree in Barangay Ilabas, Sibalom, Antique on June 6. SIBALOM PNP SAN JOSE, Antique – A man was stabbed to death in Barangay Ilabas, Sibalom.The 22-year-old resident John Garcia sustained stabbed wounds on the body, a police report showed. Tagged suspect was resident John Adam Cabrela, 29, it added. The victim was rushed to the Ramon Maza Sr. Memorial District Hospital in the town where the attending physician declared him “dead on arrival.”The suspect was detained in the lockup facility of the Sibalom police station./PNlast_img read more

Sep
25

DepEd encourages parents: Enroll your children early

first_img“As we are going into the blended modular learning, the number of enrollees is important so we would know as to how many modules we are going to prepare for the students,” Beriong said on June 19. She added that parents should not worry about the safety of their children because private schools are adhering to health protocols, too. (With a report from PNA/PN) “As we are going into the blended modular learning, the number of enrollees is important so we would know as to how many modules we are going to prepare for the students” says Department of Education in Antique superintendent Dr. Felisa Beriong on June 19. PNA “In public schools, there are 44,792 enrolled from Kindergarten to Senior High School, including Learners with Disabilities,” said Remo. “So far, there is no private school that is closing down this school year because they are also allowed to have online classes,” Kalon said. SAN JOSE, Antique – The Department of Education (DepEd) in this province is encouraging parents to enroll their children early.DepEd-Antique superintendent Dr. Felisa Beriong said there is no need to wait for the last day of the modified regular enrollment on June 30 so that the children can be included in the agency’s Learning Continuity Plan in the time of coronavirus disease 2019.center_img Last school year, a total of 160,877 learners from Kindergarten to Senior High School and 228 Learners with Disabilities enrolled. In private schools, meanwhile, only 2,789 have enrolled from Kindergarten to Senior High School. As of Friday, DepEd School Governance and Operations Division chief Evelyn Remo said 47,581 students from Kindergarten to Senior High School, including Learners with Disabilities or Non-Graded students, in both public and private schools have already enrolled. DepEd private schools coordinator Salve Kalon, for her part, said private schools also started their enrollment on June 1 but only a few parents have enrolled their children.last_img read more

Sep
24

Batesville K9 Helps Sniff Out Drugs On Traffic Stop

first_imgA central Indiana man was arrested for drugs following a routine traffic stop near the Batesville exit on I-74 on Thursday, September 26.During the stop, Batesville Officer Danny Hamilton deployed his K9 partner Jinx, who indicated the presence of drugs. Police recovered various types of pills.Greg Bennett, 50, Indianapolis, was booked into the Ripley County Jail under suspicion of possession of a Controlled Substance (class D felony).He was booked into the Ripley County Jaillast_img

Sep
24

Girls High School Basketball Scores (12-5)

first_imgWRBI Area Girls High School Basketball Scores.Thursday  (12-5)East Central  63     Harrison  29North Decatur  52     Oldenburg Academy  29South Decatur vs. Crothersville   CancelledSouthwestern vs. Columbus East   Cancelledlast_img

Sep
24

Are the Bengals Ready?

first_imgIn about a week the Cincinnati Bengals will start pre-season practice for the 2014 campaign.  Are they ready to take this team to the next level of playoff football?  They have made it to the playoffs the last few years, but they have not been able to go any further.  What they have been doing is drafting good enough athletes to contribute immediately.  Their class of rookies this year seem to be out of the same mold.  They have signed the veterans they want to keep so there is a lot of continuity in the player pool.Everyone was concerned that Dalton might not be a good enough quarterback to take them all the way.  In this years draft, they picked a quarterback from the winningest program in college football.  This is supposed to push Dalton to a higher level of performance.  That is yet to be seen.  Even though they had two coaches leave to take head positions elsewhere, they stayed within the system to replace them and this again will maintain that continuity in how the ownership wants the program to run.If the Bengals stay healthy this year, I believe they will be good enough to go beyond the first game of the playoffs.  We will have to wait and see if they are going to be one of the elite teams that Coach Lewis thinks they are.last_img read more

Sep
24

Two Decatur Co. Road Projects Begin Next Week

first_imgA pair of Indiana Department of Transportation projects in Decatur County get underway Monday.Road crews plan to install left turn arrows on S.R. 3 at the intersection with S.R. 46, C.R. 250 W and Base Road.By adding turn arrows, INDOT will restrict left turn movements at the intersection southwest of Greensburg where a number of serious crashes have occurred.“Once installed, motorists will be allowed to make protected-only left turns—northbound to westbound, and southbound to eastbound,” said Harry Maginity, media relations director for INDOT.Another road project will take place on Old U.S. 421. The 1935 twin arch over Clifty Creek in Adams Township is scheduled to be taken down next week.It will result in a 120-day closure of Old. U.S. 421 beginning Monday. Local drivers can detour via C.R. 420 W and C.R. 300 N.last_img read more

Sep
24

City Of Batesville Announces New Website

first_imgThe city has a new website that features amenities along with city and government information.BATESVILLE, Ind. – The City of Batesville is unveiling a new website design at batesvilleindiana.us.To increase overall branding of the city, the website was redesigned to provide information about Batesville and its amenities, further promoting economic development.“Our online visitors will now experience a more vibrant and seamless view of the city and its online resources,” states Mayor Rick Fledderman.Visitors to the site will discover:Several new pages created to assist the residents of Batesville: City Court, Street Department, Wastewater Treatment Plant, Main Street, and Community EventsA Resident Resources tab which provides quick access to forms and resident informationAbility to request services 24/7Easy access to department printables and downloadsAbility to be viewed on all internet devices: smartphone, tablet and desktopSite-wide search engine to assist users looking for specific informationThe website was designed by Matt Scheidler, Web Applications Developer/Designer, ETC.Images featured on the website were captured by local photographer Randy Amick.last_img read more