It was too early to ban public gatherings in the business, trade and tourism hub, added the official. Dubai is due to host the Expo 2020 world fair in October for six months.The UAE has reported 13 cases of the new coronavirus since Jan. 28, three of whom have recovered.”We are quite satisfied that we have taken all the necessary steps needed to preempt the spread of the virus at all levels, without pushing the country into a state of unwarranted panic,” the UAE official said.The disease, which originated in China late last year, has infected about 80,000 people and killed more than 2,700, the vast majority in China. Kuwait, which last week evacuated 700 people from Iran, said on Wednesday that the number of people diagnosed with the virus had risen to 25 after 13 more cases were confirmed.Bahrain, which has suspended flights to Dubai, on Wednesday reported a rise in cases to 26, some of whom had traveled through the UAE. Oman has recorded four cases.Major Gulf bourses slid on Wednesday, mirroring declines in global stocks over the spread of the virus. Air Arabia extended losses from the previous session to trade 2.8% lower, after the UAE on Tuesday suspended all flights to and from Iran.Several Arab countries have suspended flights to Iran and other destinations and imposed shipping restrictions.Kuwait has barred foreign ships, except those carrying oil, from departing to or arriving from several countries, according to a Feb. 25 notice seen by Reuters.Topics : The United Arab Emirates, a major international air transit center, is prepared for “worst case scenarios” as the new coronavirus spreads in the Middle East, a government official said on Wednesday.Three Gulf Arab states recorded their first new coronavirus cases this week, all in people coming from Iran, the UAE’s neighbor across the Gulf which on Wednesday reported a total of 19 virus-related deaths, the most outside China, and 139 cases.UAE authorities have enough facilities to quarantine patients and will be carrying out surveillance on people entering the country, said the official from the UAE National Emergency Crisis and Disasters Management Authority.
The integrated P&A service delivery will include services provided by Archer’s Engineering, Rentals, Oiltools and Wireline divisions. Last December Archer signed a letter of intent with an unnamed operator for the provision of drilling services using the modular drilling rig Archer Topaz. The Archer Topaz is estimated to mobilise to Cormorant Alpha in the second half of 2021 following the removal of the existing Cormorant Alpha integral derrick equipment set, and reactivation activities on the platform by Archer’s Engineering division. In an update on Friday, Archer said that the rig had been contracted by TAQA to perform a twenty-one well plug and abandonment campaign for the oil company’s Northern North Sea Cormorant Alpha platform. Oil services provider Archer has secured a formal contract award for the provision of a modular drilling unit and associated services from TAQA. It will also require Archer to manage and deliver cementing, swarf and re-injection services from third-party providers. The LOI was for a firm contract period of two years and three months, with options for an additional seven months of work following the initial contract period. “We are delighted with the award of this contract which secures the rig work until late 2023”, said Dag Skindlo, Chief Executive Officer of Archer.
Brian Cuthbert has been appointed as Cork’s new football manager. Press Association He succeeds Conor Counihan, who stepped down following the All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Dublin. Bishopstown man Cuthbert has been given a two-year term. He was a selector this season, and is a former manager of the Cork minor team.
Palm Beach County Sheriff’s arrested a man who runs a day care out of his home on child porn chargers.Police say Davis Manas, 62, of Palm Beach County was caught with dozens of images of child pornography.According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, detectives from PBSO’s Special Victims Unit received information on March 25 Manas was knowingly possessing and transmitting images of child porn through the internet.Manas was arrested on Thursday for 30 counts of possession of child pornography, and is being held in the Palm Beach County Jail without bond.If you or anyone you know may have used Manas for child care services, call Detective Amy Hoffman immediately at 561-688-4057.
Guyana to play final CONCACAF Nations League game against Jamaica tomorrow in KingstonTRAYON Bobb netted a double while Callum Harriot and Matthew Briggs scored a goal each, to help Guyana to an exciting 4-2 win over Aruba in Group C of League B action in the 2019-20 CONCACAF Nations League (CNL) at the Leonora National Track & Field Centre last Friday. Glenbert Croes opened the scoring in the second minute of the match to put Aruba in the lead, after Guyana’s Quilon Roberts made a bad judgement call.Matthew Briggs picked up his first CNL goal off a free-kick opportunity in the seventh minute, levelling things up for the hosts.Gregor Breinburg regained the lead for Aruba from a penalty opportunity in the 22nd minute, but Guyana tied it right before the halftime break, thanks to a long-range shot from Harriott in the 44th minute.Bobb put the hosts in the lead (3-2) after slotting home his first goal of the match in the 53rd minute – his third goal of the competition – making him Guyana’s top scorer in the Nations League. Bobb completed a double to hand Guyana a 4-2 lead in the 73rd minute.Guyana remain in second place with the win and control their destiny to earn qualification to the 2021 Gold Cup qualifiers, but Golden Jaguars can no longer win the group due to Jamaica’s 2-0 win over Antigua and Barbuda on the same night.Meanwhile, Golden Jaguars arrived in Jamaica yesterday where they face the Reggae Boyz tomorrow in their final match of the CNL. Aruba will be relegated to League C due to the loss.
The Wisconsin volleyball team’s regular season success translated into several individual postseason awards, which were announced Tuesday morning.Sophomore setter Lauren Carlini was named the Big Ten Player of the Year in addition to Big Ten Setter of the Year. The Aurora, Illinois native averaged 11.45 assists per set and 0.92 kills per set. She accounted for 41 of Wisconsin’s 132 service aces on the season, while contributing on the defensive-side with 2.89 digs per set.“It was definitely an honor,” Carlini said of receiving the two distinctions.Leading the team in digs with a conference-leading 5.18 per set is junior libero Taylor Morey. In just her first season in the conference after transferring from Notre Dame, she was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year after being named Defensive Player of the Week four times throughout the season.“I’m very thankful for the award. I’m very blessed, but at the end of the day we’re working for a national championship and it’s not about the individual awards,” Morey said.Senior right-side hitter Courtney Thomas was named to the All-Big Ten team. She averaged 2.85 kills per set, and her .350 hitting percentage ranked eighth in the Big Ten. Joining Thomas on the All-Big Ten team are Carlini and Morey. Carlini was a unanimous decision by the conference’s coaches and media contingent.“Getting an award, for us, for me, I wouldn’t be able to get the award without my teammates, a great setter and everybody else behind me,” Thomas said.Head coach Kelly Sheffield was honored with the Big Ten Coach of the Year Award in just his second season in Madison. His Badgers stormed through conference play with a 19-1 record and a 28-2 regular season mark. In his time at Wisconsin, he is 56-12.“It meant my staff got a free lunch today,” Sheffield said of his award. “Took them out to lunch and that’s about it. They don’t give those things out to people that finish in last. So would you rather have it or not have it? I don’t know would you rather have success as a team? And those things usually come along with it.”Middle blockers Haleigh Nelson and Dominique Thompson received All-Big Ten honorable mentions. Nelson finished third in the conference in hitting percentage (.387) and sixth in blocks per set (1.24). Thompson finished 10th in hitting percentage (.347) and 12th in blocks (1.09).Other awards for the Badgers included senior Deme Morales, who earned one of 14 Sportsmanship Awards. Freshman Kelli Bates, who is tied for the team lead in kills per set with Ellen Chapman (2.89), was a All-Big Ten Freshman Team selection.The Badgers begin postseason play in their opening-round match of the NCAA Tournament at the UW Field House Thursday night against Western Michigan.
Lillian Zeng | Daily Trojan
The famous Ghanian undercover journalist, Ahmed Hussein-Suale, who in the recent time alleged to have exposed top referees and administrators involved in corrupt practices in football was murdered on Wednesday night in Accra, Ghana.According to the statement issued by his production company, Tiger Eye PI, he was shot three times by men on a motorbike while driving home from work.“We … are terribly devastated by this dastardly act, but remain unshaken in our resolve to make … corruption a high-risk activity in this country,” it said in a statement. Ahmed Hussein-Suale Hussein-Suale was part of a team led by well-known undercover journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas.Their crew is famous for a documentary last year that accused 77 referees and Ghana’s then football chief Kwesi Nyantakyi of taking bribes.The film prompted Ghana to dissolve its Football Association.Nyantakyi was suspended by world football’s governing body FIFA and stepped down shortly after, apologising for what he called his “indiscretion”.The killing came as a shock in Ghana, whose vibrant press enjoys relative freedom compared to many African nations.“I expect the police to bring to book, as soon as possible, the perpetrators of this heinous crime,” said President Afuko-Addo on Twitter.Ghana’s police and government officials were not immediately available for further comment.Ghana is ranked 23rd out of 180 countries in a world press freedom index compiled by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), which is Africa’s highest ranking.But the killing came after a campaign of abuse against the documentary team.After its airing, government legislator Kennedy Agyapong called Hussein-Suale “dangerous”, shared photos of him and told viewers he would pay for them to “beat him”.He was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.Anas, who covers his face in public for safety reasons, posted about the death on his Facebook and Twitter feed.“Sad news, but we shall not be silenced. Rest in peace, Ahmed,” he said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
KINGSTON COLLEGE’S head coach, Neil Harrison, is banking on top performances from his athletes in the 4×100 and 4×400 metres at this weekend’s Penn Relays in the United States. Harrison’s KC will be trying to rebound from a 30-point loss to Calabar High at the recent Boys and Girls’ Championships and with titles and bragging rights up for grabs at the prestigious relay carnival, battle lines have already been drawn. Harrison is of the view that any win over his school’s longtime rivals will be a welcome one. “We are ready … we are going after the 4x100m and the 4x400m and we are hoping that in the 4x800m we will do well,” he pointed out in a recent interview. According to Harrison, the 4x100m this year would feel special. He stressed that the double would be nice. “I won two titles with the 4x400m team, so I am pretty much interested in the 4x100m,” he continued, while adding: “Not that I am not interested in the 4x400m, but we will see how things work out.” The coach said his charges are motivated to do well. “Yes, especially coming out of last weekend’s 39.52 seconds clocking. The Penn Relays will be keenly contested, but we are optimistic. We are hoping that things will go in our favour,” added Harrison. Anchor leg runner, Shivnarine Smalling told The Gleaner after their fast time at the MVP track meet that his KC team “changed up their 4x100m running order and are confident of victory ahead of Penns”.
…says Venezuela bound to honour int’l treaty obligationsGovernment is downplaying concerns that with the recent referral of the border controversy to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), Venezuela may choose not to recognise the court’s ruling.According to Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge, binding international obligations compel Venezuela to accept whatever ruling comes its way. Speaking to the media on Monday, he noted that whether Venezuela chose to come to court or not, Guyana would press on for a final, legal resolution.A diplomatic three-way handshake: Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, then UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and President David Granger“The international community has a forum and that’s the United Nations,” Greenidge explained. “The decision has been made that the problem before us is a legal problem. Therefore, it is to be resolved by the highest court in the international arena. The arbitral award was an award handed down and signed by Venezuelans.“The boundaries were marked by Venezuelans and Britons, not by Brazilians or Germans or people from Iceland … representatives from the Venezuelan Government. This direction is to resolve an allegation that an international treaty is null and void. And it doesn’t matter who doesn’t want to support their argument. It is a legal issue.”While there are concerns that the ICJ can only offer an advisory opinion, Greenidge noted that this opinion would still carry weight. According to Greenidge, an advisory opinion solves Guyana’s problems regarding perception of Guyana’s rights and sovereignty.“The appropriate body to decide on the validity is the court. Once the court pronounces on that, it solves our problem of perception and people’s understanding of our rights and our borders and our sovereignty. It’s quite clear.”“An advisory opinion will say this treaty is still in existence. Nothing has come to displace it. That is fine. We’re not setting out in the court to get the court to go and mark boundaries. That is not the issue,” the Foreign Affairs Minister stressed, adding that “it is very comforting (to investors) because it is not for a country to decide unilaterally what its obligations are. It is not a Venezuelan law or a Guyanese law. It is an international treaty and you are obliged, under the UN framework, to honour international law. That is very comforting.”Secretary General António Guterres last week referred the border controversy to the ICJ. This is in accordance with the framework left by his predecessor, Ban Ki-moon. While the referral has been hailed by Guyana, Venezuela is another matter entirely.Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has since said publicly that his Government did not agree with the decision, and that continued negotiations would have been preferable. It is understood that now that the matter has been referred to the ICJ, this referral is not contingent on Venezuela’s agreement.In a previous statement on the matter, the Foreign Affairs Ministry had noted that this referral did not require Venezuela’s approval beyond what was allotted in the 1966 Geneva Agreement. Guyana will now have to procure international lawyers to present its case on the international front.